Quantitative urine analysis by UPLC-MS/MS has the capability of detecting analytes of frequently prescribed opiate-based medications; codeine, morphine, hydrocodone, hydromorphone, oxycodone, and oxymorphone. Codeine Approximately 5% to...
Prescription drug abuse has reached epidemic levels. Take a proactive approach to combat prescription drug abuse through medication monitoring and patient education. Dominion Diagnostics is ready to help you design a monitoring program for patients prescribed opioids, benzodiazepines, and other medications for chronic pain and other conditions.
Recommended Treatment Guidelines
- Assess all patients for risk of substance misuse following the Federal Government's SBIRT Program
- Utilize drug monitoring at least twice per year for all patients on opioid therapy
- Perform proper patient selection using benefit-to-risk assessment prior to prescribing opioids
- Identify patient types that are less likely to benefit from opioid therapy
- Obtain informed consent from patients before prescribing opioids and maintain ongoing communication with patients regarding goals, expectations, risks and alternative therapies
Source: APS/AAPM Clinical Guidelines for Opioid Treatment of Chronic Noncancer Pain, 2009
BENEFITS FOR PRIMARY CARE PROVIDERS
- Monitor prescription adherence for chronic pain patients
- Identify PRN usage and cases for reduced medications
- Comply with regulatory guidance regarding risk assessment and medical necessity
- Access educational programs on state, federal, and FDA compliance
- Identify practice-level trends using dynamic monitoring data